Skip to main content

The Night Before an Infusion

Wonder-woman, a female heroine, strong, confident, determined. I'd been enamored with her since the 1980s when I'd perch next to my dad and watch old reruns of Lynda Carter raise her pumped fists and watch bullets ricochet off of her cuffs.

"I want to be her," I'd announced as I jumped off of the couch and ran around the house fighting injustice. Sure enough the very next day, my MacGyver of a father created cuffs that I could put on.

I've felt like Wonder-woman all my life, the hero-complex setting in early, until recently.  This path Ive been walking has me quivering in the darkness like a kid reacts when there is thunder and lighting outdoors. What I hadn't realized was, that I had to relearn how to stand tall and "fight like a woman."

Recently, my brother called me and asked, "Can you write a piece about the night before the storm?"

"What?" I asked.

"You know, the night before you go in for an infusion? What's it like? Mentally? Emotionally? I want to read about that."

"Fair enough," I said and added, "it will be a couple of weeks, but I did say that I was willing to write about whatever people wanted to hear."

Meanwhile, the fighter who was slowly emerging stepped back into the shadows and the demon in my head started raging, "You know you can't write about this, you know it's too much, you know you're only pretending to be strong when in reality you are weak!"

Doubt springs forth that day before. My reality-the kids, my husband, our life begins to slip away. I try to hold on, but it almost feels as though my hands are oily and there is nowhere to securely grab onto the fabric of life.

Often we go to church, where I thank God for the current day and know that in less than twenty-four hours I will be asked to carry the cross once more as they pump poison into my veins.  And once that process starts, I won't be able to write or think. I won't be able to talk or play. I will sit in a chair like a heap of walnuts between the living world and the dead.

During those moments I think of people that are in high security jails, locked up in isolation and envy them. Although they are in isolation, they are the fortunate ones for what I am going through is a true form of torture.  I envy their ability to feel emotions, to eat, to sit up, and walk without fearing that they will fall. I envy their ability to read and think and hold a conversation even if it's not one I'd care to be a part of.

The night before an infusion and the beginning of a fourteen day drug treatment, I cry. I lock myself in our bedroom and I beg my husband, "Please, I don't want to do this again. I can't do this again. Please, please, I've done enough, let me just shirk this one off. Please don't make me go!"

He holds me and listens to my rants, not sure how he deals with the fact that I shatter into a thousand shards every three weeks.

"You're almost done," he assures, "then we can slowly claim life back. Imagine Hawaii, Scotland, Ireland, and all the other places you still want to explore and hold on."

I don't know how he is able to hold this same conversation with me over and over again, but he does.

He wipes my tears away and stands strong, my boulder of a husband, as I crumble.

"What if I can't break through this time?" I ask. My biggest fear is this, being stuck in a shell with random thoughts that make no sense.

"What if it becomes the new orange? What if I'm here but not here and it lasts forever?"

The storm rages inside. Images of death cross my mind, lynchings, shootings, bombs blowing up buildings, slowly bleeding out, and never being able to see another day and say, "Wow, I am blessed to be alive!"

These are the thoughts that cross my mind! These are the companions I spend the night with before I awaken the next morning, plaster a smile on my face and pretend I am going to another party.

"Mom, I want to come to the party too," Ely said one day.

I cringed, but smiled.

"Never boo, never. I don't want you anywhere near this party. I want you eating healthy, living a long life, and making a difference in the world."

"Like you?"

"Me?" I ask.

"Yes mom, you are Wonder Woman!" My eldest chimed in. "It doesn't matter what comes at you, you're able to raise your fists and it ricochets off."

The younger one thinks for a moment and exclaims, "Harmon is right. You are strong and do good in the world to get rid of hate."

"I remember when you were just released from the hospital. You could barely sit up.  I was wheeling you out of your post-operation visit and you made me stop. You had seen this woman in a chair and her credit card and license had fallen out of her purse and was beneath her. You were in pain and barely sitting up mom, and yet you made me stop the wheelchair to talk to her to tell her that her cards were beneath her. If you could, you would have gotten on the ground and got it for her too," my eldest said.

"That makes me Wonder-woman?"

"Yah mom, you amaze me. You didn't have to to do all that, but you did because you are you and this world needs you. You have a purpose!"

"I should take you to more moves that center around girl empowerment, I am liking this," I claimed excitedly.

They both ran toward me yelling, "I hugged mom first!"

Fortunately, I've gone through all eight chemo treatments thus far. Eight times the darkness washed over me, eight times the love of my family and friends pulled me out of the murk and reminded of the power that resided within. I've also come to realize that the power of my boys will give me the reason needed to live for they need to see Wonder-woman in order to grow up and become amazing Super Heroes themselves!

Thanks bro, for forcing me to face my darkness and realize that even that is surmountable. Thank you for bearing with me through the storm! Couldn't have done it without you and your amazing family.

* * * * * 

If this is your first time reading these blogs, please subscribe and follow Marine's Journey. Who knows the next blog might be about you! If you know of anyone that would find this of interest, please pass it along and ask them to subscribe!

I can also be followed at: @myaniki (Twitter), 8 Faces of Cancer (Facebook Group)

Till next week, go live, thrive, have fun and do great things!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living and Loving

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but I’ve been abiding by the direct orders of my eastern and western medical practitioners. My oncologist, acupuncturist, life coach, and even family practitioner has each in their own right ordered me to “live.”  After granting me a clean bill of health, I can’t help but ask, “What now?”  They have each in their own time and turn responded with the same directive, “Live!”  Simple.  One word.  Yet, so complex.  When unpacked, intricacies emerge. What does it mean? How does one forget the trauma of the past? How does one live? Why is there not a manual for this when there's a manual for everything else?  It has taken me over a year to realize that there is no one answer and there is no one way. It is a journey, unique and different for each person.  My healing journey started this last summer. While in Scotland, my BCF (which is how she likes to refer to herself, otherwise known as, my Bad Choice Friend)

Take 2: Hello Chucky.

 Greetings my dear friends and followers! I know it's been a while since my last post. At the time I thought that living entailed never looking back, but here I am at the brink of a three year remission, needing to look back.  So much to tell- but I think changing it up is essential. Instead of writing, I will be creating VLOGs.  I'm done hiding my true self, hoping Chucky wont come back if I'm quiet, meek and docile. Watching Mulan during my first chemo-treatment (today), or shall I say 9th treatment since the beginning taught me that "There is no Courage Without Fear!"  Henceforth, you can get your Daily Dose by subscribing via you-tube. To check it out click on the following blue link:  Daily Dose of Marine 

Magical Mary

Magical Mary By: Marine Yanikian-Sutton The King Arthur legend has captivated me since I was a wee tot. When my friend named her son “Arthur,” I named mine Elyas-one of Arthur’s knights. It wasn’t Gwenavere I wanted to be, it was Morgan le Fay.   What was it about her that caught my attention?   It could have been the long flowing hair, her enchanting approach to life, or even the way Hollywood made her glide over thin air, parting the veil. As an adult, I've come to realize that I am not Morgan and can never be Morgan, but I surely met one of her descendants during this last month. Magical Mary resides in Scotland and she weaves her captivating spells as surely as Morgan wove hers.  Mary Mconnell of Star Therapies , a healer from Scotland, a gift from Liza Baker of Simply Health Coaching, entranced me a few weeks ago and in so doing, healed my soul. Before meeting her, my neuropathy controlled every minute. Pain in my hands and feet deterred me from every