Skip to main content

The Game of Life

If you ask any kid what he/she wants to be, they all claim they want stardom. They want to become famous you-tubers or gamers, fame being the underlying constant. I dare you to examine your own desires. What makes you happy? Praise? A bonus on your paycheck? Recognition? A bigger house? A nicer car? 
Wealth, Currency, Finance, Dollar 
Most of us grew up playing The Game of Life and what we aspired to achieve on that board game has engrained itself upon our souls as truth. Somehow, we’ve become brainwashed into thinking we need and want more.  

I don’t know about you, but I have an inner drive that reminds me of a wind-up toy. There were times in my life that I felt the urge for more and went for it. Two masters-degrees later, a home, a husband, a great job, and two kids to boot, I’ve realized that I’ve been playing the adult version of “LIFE.” 

Cancer helped me pause the game. It helped me sit back and reevaluate the rush towards the end. Why are we headed there with blindfolds on? Why aren’t we enjoying the ride as opposed to trying to get to the destination? 

Here’s a bit of truth from one that’s come back from death’s door- when you near the end, wanting “more” doesn’t consist of a bigger house or faster car. It consists of a day, an experience, a smile, a hug…. 

Today, I want to share my love with others and have fun while doing so. That is my highest aspiration for any given day. I say it when I wake up, and I think it when I go to sleep. I pray on it and ask the universe and God to provide me with opportunities to be present in the lives of others so that I can fulfill my wants.

This week the universe unfolded before me. I sat and broke bread with families staying at the LA Ronald McDonald House this last Thursday evening. I listened to mothers and fathers who would give up all of their monetary possessions for their ailing babes. I held a grandma as she cried over the fact that her seven-month-old grandchild needed two more open heart surgeries to even come close to seeing a healthy tomorrow. I listened and affirmed pain. I shared of my past and together we made sense of the present. 

We forget how fleeting life can be. We let ourselves be swept down the river of life, like a leaf, carried from one extreme current to another until we hit a rock. Only then do we stand firm and reevaluate life. Why must this be the case? Why can’t we listen and pause before we are damaged? 

An awareness of the extremes is the first step. 

Selecting wisely is the second. 

No longer do I allow moments to sweep me into the chaos. No longer do I allow my inner drive to rule me. I pause and listen in the silence for what fuels my soul and brings the most people happiness. I travel forward willingly and embrace moments with my own peace of mind. 

Let me pause and backtrack to the Monday before breaking bread at the Ronald McDonald House. In one day-three individuals reached out, three people I’d been communicating with during their own challenges. I hadn’t heard from any of them since my last blog and the fact that all three texted or approached me within hours of each other rattled me. It made me pause and evaluate the moment. 

The first individual told me that these blogs brought light into her darkness and provided her with the inspiration she needed to fight her battles. I’m grateful our paths crossed that day for I was considering ceasing these blogs-not sure whether it was doing anybody any good. I have since reconsidered for even one reader who finds value in it is sufficient to continue the writing.

The second individual reached out to tell me about his most recent test results. I met him through a friend and exchanged numerous texts while he was going through chemotherapy. He reached out to state that all his most recent test results came back clean! He had overcome his diagnosis like a pro. My heart beamed with happiness for him.

The third left me in tears. His niece had just passed away of cancer. The hole in his heart was bottomless. 

By eight pm Monday night, I knew I had to pause, breath, clear my mind, and ask God, “Why today? What does this all mean? What more can I do that I have not yet done? How else can I be present in their lives?” 

Did he answer? Not necessarily. That’s not quite how life works. Patience, time, and space clarify all things. I carried this question around with me through Tuesday and Wednesday and when Thursday came around I trusted that my questions would find answers that evening. 
I was one of 18 individuals who filled the Ronald McDonald House. 

At first, I stood back, taking it all in, feeling the somber mood of the families. Then, as if on cue, I remembered my Monday experiences and I realized that the one constant was me, that somehow God had answered my prayers and provided me with the opportunities to share of my light and love. I urged our team to grab food and join the families. Every table was filled. We sat with them, we talked, and we listened. 

So, when the distraught grandma asked me, “How do you know my grandchild will be alright?” 

All I could say was, “I don’t. All I know is that miracles happen every day because I’m a living miracle and if the love of others was enough to help me see my own light, maybe our love today will help you see yours!” 

Tears streamed down her face. “What can I do for him?” she asked. 

“You must believe,” I said. “You must believe that he’s in good hands, that he can make it. That God has plans for him. You must believe he will be alright so that you can smile and sing to him, so you can fill that room with love because at the end of the day that’s the only thing any of us can do.” 

“And will he live if I do that?” 

Sun Hand Finger Light Summer Sea Red SunseI remembered my third text from Monday night. I remembered my friend’s pain and his sorrow at losing his niece. I took a shaky breath and said, “That I do not know, nobody knows. But what I do know is that the love and light that you carry into that room can either brighten it or dim it and that you must control your light for as long as you need to.” 

I’m two days out from one of the greatest experiences of my life and I’ve come to realize that nothing happens coincidentally. Monday was a miracle all in itself, meant to remind me of our interconnectedness, to help me realize who I am and why the sharing of light is so important.  

So, I urge you today. I know that we can all find ourselves in really busy seasons. I ask you to press the pause button. Reduce the cortisol streaming through your body and adding undue stress to your lives. Breathe, walk, take a long hot shower, and ask yourself what is most important to you? Then, be present in every moment. The universe will unfold before you and call out to you. You will see a need and it will be up to you to walk alongside somebody else who needs a bit of light. Be present in their lives because that is the only way we will achieve stardom, by impacting each other, and leaving behind an ember in each other’s souls.  

__________________________________________________________________

If this is your first time reading these blogs, please subscribe or reach out via e-mail. It's a monthly blog examining Life, Perseverance, and Grit. 

I can also be followed at: light_blazer (Instagram), @myaniki (Twitter), or you can explore my writing via my Website


Till next time, go live, thrive, have fun, and do great things!

Comments

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Living and Loving

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but I’ve been abiding by the direct orders of my eastern and western medical practitioners. My oncologist, acupuncturist, life coach, and even family practitioner has each in their own right ordered me to “live.”  After granting me a clean bill of health, I can’t help but ask, “What now?”  They have each in their own time and turn responded with the same directive, “Live!”  Simple.  One word.  Yet, so complex.  When unpacked, intricacies emerge. What does it mean? How does one forget the trauma of the past? How does one live? Why is there not a manual for this when there's a manual for everything else?  It has taken me over a year to realize that there is no one answer and there is no one way. It is a journey, unique and different for each person.  My healing journey started this last summer. While in Scotland, my BCF (which is how she likes to refer to herself, otherwise known as, my Bad Choice Friend)

Take 2: Hello Chucky.

 Greetings my dear friends and followers! I know it's been a while since my last post. At the time I thought that living entailed never looking back, but here I am at the brink of a three year remission, needing to look back.  So much to tell- but I think changing it up is essential. Instead of writing, I will be creating VLOGs.  I'm done hiding my true self, hoping Chucky wont come back if I'm quiet, meek and docile. Watching Mulan during my first chemo-treatment (today), or shall I say 9th treatment since the beginning taught me that "There is no Courage Without Fear!"  Henceforth, you can get your Daily Dose by subscribing via you-tube. To check it out click on the following blue link:  Daily Dose of Marine 

What do you believe is worth fighting for?

There is a time shift that occurs post trauma. One feels as though they no longer completely belong to the world and yet they are here. Reality shifts, perspectives broaden. Magic happens. This is where I have been since my last post. I thought my blogs were over. It stretched through the trauma and I came out on the other end, and that people no longer wanted or needed to hear of my inner workings. But, in the months that have passed people have reached out asking why I have stopped writing, what is happening, and urging me to continue. It wasn’t until this last week when I lost myself in  The Book of Joy (A collaborative masterpiece by two of this planet’s most prominent spiritual leaders: Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama) that I realized that events shape us. However, we hold the ultimate power. We can either see any given moment as life ruining or empowering. We can see the negative and rip at it, or we can take a step back and explore alternate perspectives.  I learned thi