Skip to main content

The Moment I Knew

December 2016, two days after my surgery, my surgeon, whom I have come to call the Thinker, removed a mass and reconnected me in the oddest of ways. He walked into my room, tall, lanky, confident.

"How's my favorite patient today?" he asked.

"Upset.  Doc, you forgot to sew me up!" I muttered.

"We don't sew people up anymore.  We leave them open so that they can close from the inside out.  It's supposed to decrease the chance of infections."

"And how am I supposed to go on with my life while I have this enormous gash in me?"

"One day at a time," he said.  Then as an afterthought, he asked, "Why are you still in bed?"

"You just operated on me?" I quipped back.

"You've been lying here for almost a week.  You need to get up and moving."

"What do I do if this hole you've left ajar splits open and my insides all fall out? My stomach?  Intestines?"

"Lucky for you, your nurse knows how to contact me.  All you have to say is, 'Contact my Doctor stat.' Can you remember that?"

Oh how I wanted to hit him just then. But instead I said, "And if I pass out? I'm all bones, I can barely stand."

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared.

"Promise me you'll walk down the hall.  Not far, just till the nurse's station and back," he said.

I nodded.

He left.

I waited until my husband came for one of his numerous daily visits. He'd run from our house to my room at least four times a day torn between our kids and me. He visited more than he ate during those fourteen days. He helped me out of bed as one would their ailing elderly grandmother.  Once standing, he handed me another hospital gown so that I could cover my rear. Then, leaning as much on him as the rack that carried my medicine, we set out.

We walked maybe twenty steps when I saw the word that forced reality to wrap itself around my throat and squeeze until I could no longer communicate.  I gasped for air.

"Are you alright?"

"He knew I would see it," I stammered, trembling in my hospital gown.

"Knew what?" he asked.

"That I had cancer, that I was dying. He could have chosen to house me on any floor of this hospital, but he chose the oncology ward on purpose."

"How do you know that Oncology=Cancer?" He stammered.

I needed a minute before I could respond. I needed to gather my thoughts together so that I didn't just fall apart in the middle of the hallway.

Instead of the hospital hallway, my  mind started to wander back to when I'd first heard the word "oncology." It wasn't a word I learned in school or found in the Webster dictionary.

I was nineteen at the time and in college. My best friend had just procured a job in the oncology ward.  She was studying to be a pharmacist and was looking for experiences that would increase her technical skills.  But the oncology ward is not a place for the young at heart, even though there are many kids there these days that have to rely on  it for life.

My friend would go to work crying and come back in worse shape. "You have no idea," she'd say, "The depression and hopelessness is too much to stomach. These patients are all different.  Cancer doesn't discriminate. It attacks everybody, all ethnicities, all ages.  And they come into the oncology ward already having given up. You can feel it in the air, their depression, their pain.  And when you look into their eyes, you see only a hollowness that can't be breached."

We were at USC having coffee. The birds were chirping.  We were sitting across from our favorite fountain, staring at the water and Tommy Trojan's statue standing across from us. I heard her and yet I didn't. I didn't know what to do for her or the patients, she described at least not as a nineteen year old future educator.  But I learned the word "Oncology" that day and now here it was, my crown of thorns.

After a moment of devastation, my husband placed his hand on my back, "I think we need to get you back to bed and take some of those happy meds your supposed to press and lose yourself in," he said.

I didn't argue. I let him lead me back to my room. I fell silent and remained so for the remainder of his visit. All I could think of was: Oncology + Cancer = Death.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Alright friends, thank you for following along.  If you would like to subscribe and haven't yet done so, click the Subscribe button above and enter your e-mail address.  Subscribers will receive the blog 24 hours before it is shared via social media. At that point, feel free to share it with whomever you choose.

Likewise, if you would like to support this project and hear updates regarding the progress of the book, please join the "Eight Faces of Cancer" Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/192340981278708/

You can also follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/myaniki

Till next week, go, live, thrive, have fun and do great things!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living and Loving

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but I’ve been abiding by the direct orders of my eastern and western medical practitioners. My oncologist, acupuncturist, life coach, and even family practitioner has each in their own right ordered me to “live.”  After granting me a clean bill of health, I can’t help but ask, “What now?”  They have each in their own time and turn responded with the same directive, “Live!”  Simple.  One word.  Yet, so complex.  When unpacked, intricacies emerge. What does it mean? How does one forget the trauma of the past? How does one live? Why is there not a manual for this when there's a manual for everything else?  It has taken me over a year to realize that there is no one answer and there is no one way. It is a journey, unique and different for each person.  My healing journey started this last summer. While in Scotland, my BCF (which is how she likes to refer to herself, otherwise known as, my Bad Choice Friend)

Take 2: Hello Chucky.

 Greetings my dear friends and followers! I know it's been a while since my last post. At the time I thought that living entailed never looking back, but here I am at the brink of a three year remission, needing to look back.  So much to tell- but I think changing it up is essential. Instead of writing, I will be creating VLOGs.  I'm done hiding my true self, hoping Chucky wont come back if I'm quiet, meek and docile. Watching Mulan during my first chemo-treatment (today), or shall I say 9th treatment since the beginning taught me that "There is no Courage Without Fear!"  Henceforth, you can get your Daily Dose by subscribing via you-tube. To check it out click on the following blue link:  Daily Dose of Marine 

What do you believe is worth fighting for?

There is a time shift that occurs post trauma. One feels as though they no longer completely belong to the world and yet they are here. Reality shifts, perspectives broaden. Magic happens. This is where I have been since my last post. I thought my blogs were over. It stretched through the trauma and I came out on the other end, and that people no longer wanted or needed to hear of my inner workings. But, in the months that have passed people have reached out asking why I have stopped writing, what is happening, and urging me to continue. It wasn’t until this last week when I lost myself in  The Book of Joy (A collaborative masterpiece by two of this planet’s most prominent spiritual leaders: Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama) that I realized that events shape us. However, we hold the ultimate power. We can either see any given moment as life ruining or empowering. We can see the negative and rip at it, or we can take a step back and explore alternate perspectives.  I learned thi