Skip to main content

Facing the Dark Demon

My nine year old has an old soul. He hides it though and uses jokes to protect himself. We read together, watch old movies, and talk about topics that a nine-year-old should not be thinking about.

Our recent adventures are found in "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz," by Frank Baum. He stopped me last week when we discovered that Oz was a fake and asked, "Why don't they see it mom? Why don't they see that they already possess everything they are looking for?"

"What do you mean, my love?" I asked


"Well, the lion keeps looking for courage, but he's had it all along."
He paused, then continued, "It's like you, when you were in the hospital, you forgot that you had courage. You were the lion!"

I gasped.

"Talking about my stay in the hospital, what happened to you? You'd come and cower in the corner behind your I-Pad, you wouldn't look at me or talk to me."

"I looked," he said.

"But when our eyes met, you..."

"I couldn't stand seeing you like that, you'd forgotten who you were. You had lost your heart, brain, and courage," he said.

I sighed.

"Then what changed?" I asked.

"Love," he said. "I think love brought you back. Our family wouldn't let you give up, just like love and family is going to help the Tin Man, Lion, Scarecrow, and Dorothy figure out that they are filled with strength and power too."

Moments like these, I feel invincible.  I feel as though I can soar forever, that I will live and thrive and see my boys turn into amazing young men.

But the pendulum is just that, a pendulum.  It swings from one extreme to the other.

Sometimes, when least expected, The Dark Demon descends. He's always lurking, behind the happiness. He stands in the shadows and waits for doubt to settle in. He talks to me in the silence- "You should have died years ago. This time, it's for certain. You are not needed on this planet. You are the weak link."

"Leave me alone," I threaten. He listens and recedes temporarily, hovering just out of reach, waiting.

Hours after reading with Ely, I went onto the Livestrong site to respond to some of the comments left there. A stranger had responded saying, "My wife was a fighter too. She was diagnosed at 33 and fought for six years before I lost my best friend forever."

The Dark Demon emerged then. He curled his claws around my heart, "I told you that your days were numbered. Fight, go ahead, but in the end, you will lose. Just as others before you have lost and have been forgotten, you too will disappear into the mist. You won't see your boys grow up, you'll miss their graduations, weddings, and most deffinitely you won't hold any grandchildren."

"Leave me alone," I beseeched, "You're wrong. People don't just disappear. I've held Nonnie Korten- grant writer, educator, the seed that started the Food Network-in my soul since her passing to a brain tumor over ten years ago. Every time I wrote a grant, it was Nonnie fueling me forward. I've honored Ruth Ellen Anker-educator, grant writer, mentor-every time I've embraced a new teacher and made them feel welcome, just as she would have done. We aren't just pawns. We impact each other, we create ripples and I'm sure I must have created a few along my path."

I needed a distraction. Ely had run off to play with Harmon and I needed to change my train of thought. I flipped my Mac open and logged into my Google account, there waiting for me was an e-mail from one of my previous students.  Tears welled up in my eyes and I cried for a good twenty minutes, shaking at the mere fact that she was giving back monumentally. "Currently, I'm working a medical laboratory, but I remember vividly the life lessons we learned in 4th grade and i just wanted to tell you that I want to be a pediatric oncologist," she'd said.  "I want to change lives!"

I was taken back in time to when I had her, to when we'd started becoming life-long-learners, sowing seeds of hope, working to change lives. I knew just then that even if tomorrow was my last day on Earth there were enough seeds out there that would continue to make this world a beautiful place, from the Philippines to Berkley and beyond my babies were thriving, changing lives, inspiring...

"So there, Dark Demon," I said as strength and courage refilled my soul with newfound vigor, "So there! The courage of the Lion resides within me and I know that we are all interconnected. We don't just vanish, we aren't simply forgotten, we live on in the hearts and souls of those we come into contact with."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for following along. If you would like to subscribe and haven't yet done so, click the Subscribe button above and enter your e-mail address.  You aren't done though until you prove that you aren't an electronic device. You must reenter the slanted letters and hit enter again until you receive a response thanking you for your subscription. Subscribers will receive the blog 24 hours before it is shared via social media. Feel free to share it with whomever you choose at this point.

Likewise, if you would like to support this project and hear updates regarding the progress of the book (which is now 5/8th of the way done as are the chemo treatments, please join the "Eight Faces of Cancer" Facebook Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/192340981278708/

You can also follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/myaniki


Till next week, go, live, thrive, have fun and do great things!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living and Loving

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but I’ve been abiding by the direct orders of my eastern and western medical practitioners. My oncologist, acupuncturist, life coach, and even family practitioner has each in their own right ordered me to “live.”  After granting me a clean bill of health, I can’t help but ask, “What now?”  They have each in their own time and turn responded with the same directive, “Live!”  Simple.  One word.  Yet, so complex.  When unpacked, intricacies emerge. What does it mean? How does one forget the trauma of the past? How does one live? Why is there not a manual for this when there's a manual for everything else?  It has taken me over a year to realize that there is no one answer and there is no one way. It is a journey, unique and different for each person.  My healing journey started this last summer. While in Scotland, my BCF (which is how she likes to refer to herself, otherwise known as, my Bad Choice Friend)

Take 2: Hello Chucky.

 Greetings my dear friends and followers! I know it's been a while since my last post. At the time I thought that living entailed never looking back, but here I am at the brink of a three year remission, needing to look back.  So much to tell- but I think changing it up is essential. Instead of writing, I will be creating VLOGs.  I'm done hiding my true self, hoping Chucky wont come back if I'm quiet, meek and docile. Watching Mulan during my first chemo-treatment (today), or shall I say 9th treatment since the beginning taught me that "There is no Courage Without Fear!"  Henceforth, you can get your Daily Dose by subscribing via you-tube. To check it out click on the following blue link:  Daily Dose of Marine 

What do you believe is worth fighting for?

There is a time shift that occurs post trauma. One feels as though they no longer completely belong to the world and yet they are here. Reality shifts, perspectives broaden. Magic happens. This is where I have been since my last post. I thought my blogs were over. It stretched through the trauma and I came out on the other end, and that people no longer wanted or needed to hear of my inner workings. But, in the months that have passed people have reached out asking why I have stopped writing, what is happening, and urging me to continue. It wasn’t until this last week when I lost myself in  The Book of Joy (A collaborative masterpiece by two of this planet’s most prominent spiritual leaders: Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama) that I realized that events shape us. However, we hold the ultimate power. We can either see any given moment as life ruining or empowering. We can see the negative and rip at it, or we can take a step back and explore alternate perspectives.  I learned thi