Skip to main content

An Anniversary to Remember: Nineteen Years in a Nut Shell

June 26th is anther one of those days which resonates in volumes, at least for me. It goes up there with September 11th, December 25th, and January 1st. Year in and year out, each of these days mark a day in which short term memories have transformed into long term ones. We all have similar days, our birthdays, the day our children were born, the day a friend/parent died.


I remember numerous June 26ths, some quite fondly for it is the day I married the love of my life. Nineteen years ago today, we became a team, for better or for worse, he became the Yin to my Yang.

Somewhere in between 1999 and 2017 the whirling of life  picked us up and tousled us about. Some anniversaries were marked by dinners and presents, especially the first few while others slipped from memory like a dream. Ryan was as guilty of this as I. Within the comfortable walls of our relationship, marking days became irrelevant, unnecessary.

Until June 26th, 2017 left us no option. Last June 26th was the day of my last chemotherapy session. I found it strangely ironic. The minute the doctor set the date I could't decide whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, whether I should change it or go with it. Finally I decided not to mess with fate, to allow life to unfold the way it intended.

And on that day, the love of my life pulled me out of my darkness. He grasped my hand and said, “Remember our wedding?” I couldn't focus on the poison entering my arm, the steel sharp numbness spreading, because my full attention rested on him. 

I grinned, “As if it were yesterday. Your cousins came packed, they were terrified they were going to die in Los Angeles that weekend. So, being cops and firefighters and making the trek from a small town to the big city, they carried their protection with them.” 

“And you and your family excluded us from the morning rituals. I’m a Historian, I wanted to see what all the Armenian women and men were doing in your house all morning,” he said. 

“You wanted to see me running around the house with my slip and underwear on panicking over the tiniest of things?” I asked. 

“Most definitely!” He exclaimed in a deeper tone. 

Even now, eighteen years after our marriage, this man of mine could make me blush.  I glanced away checking to see if anybody was eavesdropping on our conversation. 

“Then came the whole absent maid-of-honor…” 

“She showed up, a bit late, but she did show up to the party,” Ryan said, defending her. My man definitely saw all sides of a situation, at all times.  “Her dress was ripped, she couldn’t have come in her slip and robe, could she?” 

I huffed. 

“I was glad when the church ceremony was over though, it’s hard not understanding anything the priest says.” 

“If it makes you feel any better, I didn’t understand much either. An Armenian Orthodox Church ceremony is hard to understand, the chanting, the old proper Armenian… I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing, you’ve done that a lot in the last 18 years, I’m about to start charging you a quarter every time you apologize and since you aren’t working, this is going to get quite expensive rather quickly,” he cautioned. 

I giggled. I loved the new Ryan, the hopeful one… This new Ryan is almost unrecognizable from the one who found out I had cancer, from the one who saw my diagnosis as an end instead of a transformation. “I was so weak then, I did what everybody else wanted,” I explained. “My family wanted a church wedding, so we had a church wedding. They wanted it in Armenian, thus we had it in Armenian. They wanted a full Armenian spread; we gave them a full Armenian spread.”  

“Always the pleaser, aren’t you?” he asked.

“Not always, I figured they’d seen me grow for over twenty years and deserved all that. I wanted an adventure, I wanted Europe for two months, traveling and exploring the unknown, and that’s something you've given me.”

The rest of our chemotherapy session was submerged in similar revelry. We thought back to different adventurous experiences. We laughed, we cried. We did it all, together.

As the months crept up to June of 2018, I wasn't sure how I wanted to mark the completion of my first year since the Chemo ended and our nineteenth anniversary was coming upon us. In March and April, I paused to think about it, but as the days slipped away, life decided for us.

Our eldest was invited to spend nine days at an Engineering Leadership Conference at UC Berkley during this time we chose not to return to Los Angeles. We let life push us northward to Trinidad, CA to a woman who runs an Air B and B and shares endless love with her guests. We chose to focus on the present instead of dwelling in the past or worrying about the future. Had we returned to Los Angeles, thoughts of last year would have clouded the moment. Had we hovered near Berkley, fears of the future and seeing our eldest leave us to go to college would have darkened our doorstep, but instead we chose to make the present a true present!


So, today, nineteen years after our union I sit in endless folds of love and am content with where life has brought us. The path has been smooth at times and rocky at others, but when you get down to it, isn't that how it always goes?

It isn't up to us to always make it smooth or dwell in depression when it's not. It is up to us to allow each present moment to blossom like a flower and draw from it what we can, to view each moment as just that, a fleeting one, one that we can get through and attempt to learn from and use each to recreate who and what were are supposed to be.

So for all of you out there, wondering about the moments in your life, the best strategy I've discovered is to simply sit with it. To give it no judgement, but simply to watch it unfold as one does the rolling waves. Thank you for following along on this journey. Stay tuned for next month, we'll be exploring Scotland and that blog will definitely feature Reiki Master, Magical Mary and the amazing Health Coach, Liza Baker.

* * * 

If this is your first time reading these blogs, please subscribe or reach out via e-mail. It's a monthly blog examining Life, Perseverance, and Grit. 

I can also be followed at: light_blazer (Instagram), @myaniki (Twitter), or you can explore my writing via my Website


Till next time, go live, thrive, have fun, and do great things!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living and Loving

I know it has been a long time since my last post, but I’ve been abiding by the direct orders of my eastern and western medical practitioners. My oncologist, acupuncturist, life coach, and even family practitioner has each in their own right ordered me to “live.”  After granting me a clean bill of health, I can’t help but ask, “What now?”  They have each in their own time and turn responded with the same directive, “Live!”  Simple.  One word.  Yet, so complex.  When unpacked, intricacies emerge. What does it mean? How does one forget the trauma of the past? How does one live? Why is there not a manual for this when there's a manual for everything else?  It has taken me over a year to realize that there is no one answer and there is no one way. It is a journey, unique and different for each person.  My healing journey started this last summer. While in Scotland, my BCF (which is how she likes to refer to herself, otherwise known as, my Bad Choice Friend)

Take 2: Hello Chucky.

 Greetings my dear friends and followers! I know it's been a while since my last post. At the time I thought that living entailed never looking back, but here I am at the brink of a three year remission, needing to look back.  So much to tell- but I think changing it up is essential. Instead of writing, I will be creating VLOGs.  I'm done hiding my true self, hoping Chucky wont come back if I'm quiet, meek and docile. Watching Mulan during my first chemo-treatment (today), or shall I say 9th treatment since the beginning taught me that "There is no Courage Without Fear!"  Henceforth, you can get your Daily Dose by subscribing via you-tube. To check it out click on the following blue link:  Daily Dose of Marine 

Magical Mary

Magical Mary By: Marine Yanikian-Sutton The King Arthur legend has captivated me since I was a wee tot. When my friend named her son “Arthur,” I named mine Elyas-one of Arthur’s knights. It wasn’t Gwenavere I wanted to be, it was Morgan le Fay.   What was it about her that caught my attention?   It could have been the long flowing hair, her enchanting approach to life, or even the way Hollywood made her glide over thin air, parting the veil. As an adult, I've come to realize that I am not Morgan and can never be Morgan, but I surely met one of her descendants during this last month. Magical Mary resides in Scotland and she weaves her captivating spells as surely as Morgan wove hers.  Mary Mconnell of Star Therapies , a healer from Scotland, a gift from Liza Baker of Simply Health Coaching, entranced me a few weeks ago and in so doing, healed my soul. Before meeting her, my neuropathy controlled every minute. Pain in my hands and feet deterred me from every